The U.S. government constructed Fort Hawkins from 1806 to 1810 as an outpost near the Creek Nation. The fort remained in operation until 1824. By that time Macon became incorporated as a new city across the river. The outpost was at the Fall Line of the Ocmulgee River. The fort was originally about 2 acres in size with a palisade wall and two blockhouse towers at the diagonal corners. By the 1860s, the buildings had fallen into serious disrepair.